Raised in rural Tennessee and Southern California, I was excited to study at Eastern Oregon University and make rural Oregon my home six years ago! I have lived and attended church in La Grande since 2014, and I look forward to spending my life in northeast Oregon. It is easy to simply post a resume of my education, work experience, and public service, but voters need more than that from their candidates. My success at school, on the job, and in government comes down to my work ethic, desire to serve, and love of storytelling. (For those who want a resume, scroll to the bottom.)
2015: Representing Oregon College Republicans at the College Republican National Committee.
In high school and college, I did everything I could to serve my fellow students. I was elected Secretary of my high school student government senior year on a platform of transparency, and I followed through by regularly posting meeting minutes online for the student body to review. While attending community college, I served as the student representative to the board of trustees, and an officer of the regional community college student government association.
At EOU, I was Chair of College Republicans and delegate to the Educational Policy and Curriculum Committee for 2 years. I was also a delegate to the Oregon Student Association and an adjudicator for the student government, ensuring that student body leaders appropriately followed state public meeting laws.
2017. Advocating for higher education before the Oregon legislature's joint Ways & Means Committee, Treasure Valley Community College, Ontario, OR.
I have advocated for community improvements at the local, state, and federal level throughout my adulthood. In community college, I built an advocacy program for the regional community college student association serving California's central coast. At EOU, I interned, volunteered, and worked for University Advancement, guiding students and university officials through the legislative process.
My greatest legislative achievement is the passage of legislation affecting my employer, Blue Mountain Translator District. After becoming manager in 2017, I reviewed common community concerns with the District's revenue collection system, and publicly promised in November of that year that the District would address concerns with reform legislation. Within 18 months of meeting with Senators Bill Hansel and Cliff Bentz, and Representatives Greg Barreto and Lynn Findley, I shepherded Republican-sponsored reform legislation (SB 394) to unanimous passage through a Democratic supermajority. Legislation was passed by building a coalition of cities, counties, fire districts, and community organizations who agreed that it was time for BMTD to move forward. Our government should be responsive to the needs of citizens, and I am proud of my record of working through the legislative process to improve northeast Oregon.
2015. With HUD Secretary Dr. Ben Carson at the 61st College Republican National Convention, Washington, DC.
When I see a call to serve in my community, I answer. My voluntary community and public leadership began in high school with service in student government. From 2018-2019, I served on the La Grande School District Strategic Planning Committee. Since 2019, I have served on two advisory committees to the Federal Communications Commission dedicated to emergency alerts and broadcast facility resiliency.
- Denise Wheeler, City Council #2 Candidate
- Dr. David Glabe, City Council #3 Candidate
- Rep. Greg Barreto, HD 58
- Evan Bryan, EOU student body president 2013-2014
- Union County Republicans, PCP, 2016-2017, 2019-present
- Bud Pierce for Oregon Governor, Executive Assistant, 2016
- Bud Pierce for Governor, Northeast Oregon Field Organizer, 2016
- Students for Rubio, Oregon Chair, 2016
- Jeb Bush for President, Oregon Mission: Next Co-Chair, 2015-2016
- College Republican National Convention, Alternate Delegate, 2015
- Oregon Federation of College Republicans, Central Committee, 2014-2016
- EOU College Republicans, Chair, 2014-2016
- Maria Gutzeit for Santa Clarita City Council, Student Organizer, 2014
- Oregon Legislative Assembly, 2020 Regular Session (BMTD, EOU)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly, 2019 Regular Session (BMTD, EOU)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly, 2018 Regular Session (BMTD, EOU)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly, 2017 Regular Session (EOU)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly, 2016 Regular Session (EOU)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly, 2015 Regular Session (EOU, OSA)
- California Legislature, 2013-2014 Regular Session (SSCCC Region VI)
- Blue Mountain Translator District, Executive Director, 2017-present
- Baker County NHMP Steering Committee, 2020-present
- Union County Budget Committee, 2020-present
- Federal Communications Commission CSRIC VII, Workgroups 1 & 5, 2019-2020
- La Grande School District Strategic Planning Committee, 2018-2019
- Union County Chamber of Commerce, Cycle Oregon Coordinator, 2018
- Oregon HECC Committee on Credit for Prior Learning, 2016
- EOU Curriculum Committee, 2014-2016
- Oregon Student Association OSERA, 2014-2015
- Student Senate for California Community Colleges Region VI, 2012, 2013-2014
- College of the Canyons Associated Student Government, 2012
- Academy of the Canyons ASB, 2011-2012
- Eastern Oregon University, BS, Public Administration/Politics & Economics, 2016
- College of the Canyons, AA, Communications Studies, 2014
- College of the Canyons, AA, English, 2014
- College of the Canyons, AA, History, 2013